The Medical Writer will support health care case teams with translating health outcomes research into effective message development and communications for a client’s internal and external audiences. These materials include manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals, abstracts for scientific conferences, and reports for regulatory submissions on health and pharmaceutical related issues in the area of health economics and outcomes research (HEOR), epidemiology and safety, and health policy.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the major issues studied in a HEOR project and be able to critically evaluate the findings of a project and compare these within the chosen field. HEOR writers must be able to understand all aspects of projects, including study design, data sources, data analysis, data interpretation/discussion, and communication. The position requires excellent writing skills, a working knowledge of statistics, and broad familiarity with pharmacoeconomic modeling.
Experience in a variety of disease areas (such as asthma, cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, critical care, diabetes, gastroenterology, hepatitis, HIV/AIDS, incontinence, infectious disease, mental health, pain, obesity, and oncology) is preferable, but not required.
Essential Primary Functions:
- Produce high quality and timely communication materials (e.g., manuscripts, reports, abstracts).
- Must be able to grasp quickly the objective of a study and the targeted messaging based on background materials provided (e.g., study report, manuscript outline).
- Must be able to work smoothly as an integrated component of various case teams and be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Essential Secondary Functions:
- Effectively edit, proofread, and format all client messaging deliverables as well as occasional internal documents such as training manuals.
- Handle all aspects of a manuscript submission and follow up with journal editors; manage projects to ensure that authors respect deadlines and respond to comments promptly and effectively.
- Review, critique, and revise written summaries of analytical work prepared by consultant case teams.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute a reader's perspective and constructive criticism to analytical team to optimize the quality of the written messaging.
- Participate in the development of standard approaches to manuscript writing and content development.
- Act as a resource to colleagues to help them improve their writing and data presentation skills in the development of tables, graphs and other material ultimately incorporated into client messaging documents.